Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Gas Prices, Car Repairs...and Peace


Why is it that owning a car can be such a financial drain? First, there's the high purchase price of the car itself, then the high gas ($4.11 per gal at the time of this writing), then the repairs, and so on.

This morning, I had to take my car into the repair shop for a brake job and to fix the air conditioning. I'm not a happy camper. But wait! There is something to be grateful for! My mechanic took me to work and I sit here ready to put in a full day's work...car or no car.

It's often hard for us to be grateful. Sometimes we need to be nudged back into reality...the reality of God over us.

So, this morning in my mostly ungratefulness, even with me being safely at work, I read an email from a friend. It is mostly a cut and paste job from the first few paragraphs of a book.

It's not about you.

The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, your peace of mind, or even your happiness. It's far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dreams and ambitions. If you want to know why you were placed on this planet, you must begin with God. You were born by His purpose and for His purpose.


It's not the first time I read these words from Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life. But they came again at a perfect time.

It's not about my brakes, my car, my finances, my job...it's not about me!

I rest in Him...regardless of what is going on with me or around me. You too, can have peace in Him...simply begin with knowing it's not about you.

Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. - Psalm 119:165 (NIV)

_______________

Rick Warren's book, "The Purpose Driven Life" is one of the top-selling books of all time. The book has been used as study material for Bible and book studies around the world.

_______________

Alexander is a writer in the online spiritual battlefield. You can also find him at The Scrooge Report.


No comments: