Thursday, May 22, 2008

Today's Evidence


Origin of the Bible - The Reliability of Ancient Manuscripts

Today, we will be looking at the origin of the Bible. In proving or disproving God's existence, it is important to discuss "God's Manuscript," as some would call it. I've taken the following from AllAboutTruth.org. Stay tuned for more of Today's Evidence. Have a blessed day everyone! - Alexander

Another challenge against the origin of the Bible is the reliability of the manuscripts from which today's Bibles are translated. Remarkably, there is widespread evidence for absolute reliability. There are more than 14,000 existing Old Testament manuscripts and fragments copied throughout the Middle East, Mediterranean and European regions that agree dramatically with each other. In addition, these texts agree with the Septuagint version of the Old Testament, which was translated from Hebrew to Greek some time during the 3rd century BC.

The Dead Sea Scrolls, discovered in Israel in the 1940's and 50's, also provide phenomenal evidence for the reliability of the ancient transmission of the Jewish Scriptures (Old Testament) before the arrival of Jesus Christ. The Hebrew scribes who copied the Jewish Scriptures dedicated their lives to preserving the accuracy of the holy books. These scribes went to phenomenal lengths to insure manuscript reliability. They were highly trained and meticulously observed, counting every letter, word and paragraph against master scrolls. A single error would require the immediate destruction of the entire text.

Source: www.allabouttruth.org/origin-of-the-bible.htm


5 comments:

Alexander said...

Feel free to leave a comment here, but you can also find some great comments at DIGG:

http://digg.com/educational/Today_s_Evidence_Origin_of_the_Bible

Alexander said...

DIGG comments on Today's Evidence

Jackie said...

Oh my it never ceases to amaze me how God moves in one's life.

Just this morning I awoke to an awful comment that assaulted just about every religion on the face of the earth.

But, most especially it was directed toward Christians.

I just awoke from a nap. Before falling asleep I prayed for the individual.

I also prayed that I had handled the situation correctly. And, ask that God please continue to help me along.

And now you and this amazing blog have been sent my way.

I must thank God first and also thank you for reaching out to me.

I am currently blogging while travelling with my husband. We have a very nice rig but still it is very bumpy riding back here in the back.

Typing is nearly impossible. I am going to add this site to my blogroll for myself.

I love to learn and the history and teachings of the Christian faith and the Bible is most definitely my favorite study.

You have been an angel sent my way today. I am most grateful.
God Bless,
Jackie

Alexander said...

@shinade...thanks so much!

God bless you and your family as well!

Welcome!

Alexander said...

BTW...shinade...You are already on my blogroll!