Sunday, February 17, 2008

Love Letter by the Sea


He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love. - Song of Solomon 2:4

Before coming to know the Lord, I often sought comfort in my favorite piece of the Pacific Ocean. In Laguna Beach, California, there are benches on a winding boardwalk facing the sea and nestled in between the hills and the sand. World travelers often call it the most beautiful spot they've ever visited.

Although I wasn't consciously seeking God, I would sometimes sit on a bench, stare out at the ocean and surroundings, and seek answers about my life. One late afternoon, I sat there alone when a young man sitting on a bench a few feet away greeted me and asked how I was doing.

"I don't know why I'm talking to you, but I feel led to," he said. I cautiously exchanged a few words and listened. "Do you know Jesus?" he asked. "Yes, I do," I answered. However, I only said that in an attempt to keep him quiet. By now, I was afraid he was going to "invade my space," as once was popular to say.

He didn't stay quiet. Instead, he said, "Did you know that the Bible is God's love letter to you?" I was ready to get up and walk away. He must have known that I didn't really "know Jesus." I answered by saying, "Oh, really?" as I began to leave. The conversation was over.

The Bible is God's love letter to me? I thought about the man's statement for a little bit and then filed it away in my brain. It wasn't until years later that I knew exactly what he meant. A seed had been planted.

Alexander is a writer in the online spiritual battlefield. You can also find him at The Scrooge Report.



No comments: