Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Right Direction


It is this Good News that saves you... that Christ died for our sins just as the scriptures said He would, and that He was buried, and three days afterwards He arose from the grave. - 1 Corinthians 15:2-4 (LB)

After church shopping for a few months, trying to find a place I could hang out at for awhile, I landed at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California. I liked the contemporary Christian music and the overall buzz of the place.

After a few weeks of attending, I was standing in the church's plaza area in between the worship center and the information tables, and saw a banner I could not ignore: "Celebrate Recovery". I figured, "Hey, I've been in Alcoholics Anonymous for a couple years, maybe I should hang out by that sign draped over the table."

There was no one else by that Celebrate Recovery information table except for a man named John, who was behind it. After what must have been less than a half a minute, John asked me this question, "Do you know Jesus?" I had been asked the same question a few times before, but for the first time in my life I answered honestly. "I don't know," I said. Then he asked me if I would like to say a prayer with him and I accepted the invitation. We went behind the table, he asked me a few questions and we prayed. I have never been the same since and I know in my heart that if I continue to follow Jesus, I am headed in the right direction.

What were the questions?

Do you believe Jesus died on the cross for you and showed He was God by coming back to life? 1 Corinthians 15:2-4 (LB) (above)

Do you accept God's free forgiveness for your sins? Romans 3:22 (LB) Now God says He will accept and acquit us -- declare us "not guilty" -- if we trust Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, by coming to Christ, no matter who we are or what we have been like.

Do you want to switch to God's plan for your life? Mark 1:15 (LB) Turn from you sins and act on this glorious news! Romans 12:2 (Ph) Don't let the world squeeze you into its own mold, but let God remake you so that your whole attitude of mind is changed.

Do you want to express your desire for Christ to be the director of your life? Romans 10:19 (NIV) If you confess with your lips, "Jesus is Lord", and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

What was the prayer?

Dear God, I believe you sent your son, Jesus, to die for my sins so that I can be forgiven. I'm sorry for my sins and I want to live the rest of my life the way you want me to. Please put your Spirit in my life to direct me. Amen.

____________________

If you said the above prayer right now, I recommend finding a good Bible-teaching church to help you in your walk. Also, get a Bible! It's God's love letter to you! You can order the New Believer's Bible right now by clicking on the image or link. If not, be sure to get your hands on one any way you can!

Love in Christ,
Alexander




No comments: