Tuesday, February 12, 2008

When the Fun is Over


Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more. - Ephesians 4:19

For most of my life I had not thought about God. My Russian-born parents had taken me to Russian Orthodox Sunday school in Los Angeles when I was a child. For a few elementary school grades I went to a Catholic school. However, as near as I can tell, sitting in those classrooms, the church, and the pews, never brought me closer to God. At least I was not aware of Him.

You see, I was on a mission to have fun in life and that was my number one priority. I put God not just in the backseat of my life or even the trunk, but probably somewhere out on the curb.

I look back on those years through childhood, teenage, young adult, and thirty-something and cringe. How could I have been so lost?

I did have fun, but I paid the price. Emotional instability, insecurity, lack of responsibility, and other manifestations held me back in many areas of my life. While I lived in the real world -- somewhat functioning while pursuing more and more pleasure -- I had grown older without facing reality for much too long.

Was God real? I don't even recall asking the question. It wasn't until the fun was running out and my fear, anxiety, and real life problems kicked in that I began looking... and God began appearing.

By the grace of God, I became aware that I could have a relationship with Him... and it was and is the most comforting.

Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ. - Philippians 3:8

Alexander is a writer in the online spiritual battlefield. You can also find him at The Scrooge Report.



No comments: