Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Asking For Wings


No one guarantees that life transforms into a rose garden when one becomes a Christian. I know that for me, accepting Jesus eight years ago was thrilling, somewhat scary, and a high like I have never felt. However, the years since He first entered my heart, have not been lived in a continual state of euphoria...nor should it be...(aw, shucks). For a feel-good junkie like myself, this concept is a difficult one to accept.

Today was a rough day...oh, nothing extraordinary happened, but I feel tired and weary. Fortunately, at 7 pm, I went to the Word...and as I go over a devotion by Billy Graham, I am refreshed in a quiet way...knowing that it doesn't matter what mood I'm in...God still loves me! I just need to ask Him for my wings.

This from Billy Graham's Hope for Each Day:

SOARING IN VICTORY

Unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. - John 3:3

In the third chapter of John, Jesus teaches that the new birth is something God does for us, as we yield ourselves to Him and put our faith and trust in Christ. We do not have within ourselves the seed of the new life; this must come from God.

One day an ugly caterpillar climbs into a tree and spins a silky robe about itself. It goes to sleep, and in a few weeks emerges a beautiful butterfly.

So we...discouraged, unhappy, hounded by guilt, confused, depressed, vainly looking for and escape...can come by faith to Christ and emerge a new person. We can be born again! It sounds incredible, even impossible...and yet it is precisely what happens. We become members of God's family, looking forward to our eternal home in Heaven.

Do you feel you are in a cocoon? Turn to Christ and ask Him to give you your beautiful wings so that you might soar above your problems and be victorious over them.

__________

In 'Hope for Each Day,' Billy Graham offers spiritual comfort to guide us through our daily lives. Graham is considered a national treasure and has counseled numerous political leaders and provided comfort in times of public crisis.




No comments: